As always, these Lamingtons are preservative free (including the coconut!). They are sooooooo yummy you will never buy store lamingtons again 😉
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup milk
2 cups desiccated coconut (I buy Macro brand (Woolworths) Organic Shredded coconut and cut it up finer in the food processor)
4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 – 3/4 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 180ºc/160ºc fan-forced. Grease a 3cm deep 20cm x 30cm lamington pan and line with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each one.
3. Sift the flour over butter mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Add the milk and spoon into prepared pan. Smooth.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack .
7. Place the cake into the freezer for 1-2 hours (to stop it falling apart when you cover with icing) then cut into equal squares to the size of your liking.
Now start making the icing. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl then add butter and boiling water. Stir until smooth. The mixture should be runny.
Set up your work bench with a bowl of coconut and a wire rack to put finished lamingtons onto. Then dip each square into the icing with a fork, letting the excess drip away. Now cover the lamington in coconut and return each one to the wire rack to set. Enjoy!!