This is the BEST chocolate cake I have ever tasted. It’s lovely and moist and I always receive great compliments whenever I bake it.
- 120g butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 160°c/320F.
- Place ½ cup cold water, milk, sugar, butter, cocoa and bicarb in saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to boil then remove from heat. Cool 15 minutes.
- Add flour and eggs. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
2 tablespoons pure butter, softened1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Mix all ingredients together adding small amounts of milk until the icing reaches a thick consistency. If it is too thin it will slide off the cake!